- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Ho Chi Minh City is safe for the most part, but traffic safety and petty theft are both issues to bear in mind when out and about. Always look in every possible direction when crossing the street, and be aware that motorcycles and even cars frequently use the sidewalks. Keep valuables in view at all times and consider minimizing what you take out, especially if going out at night. Patience and a pleasant demeanor are usually enough to sort out disagreements, but visible anger may be responded to with threats or even violence.
Foreigners are often subjected to inflated prices for goods or services in Vietnam. This business tactic, which many Vietnamese consider reasonable, is often the source of disagreements between Vietnamese and visitors. Simple common-sense precautions, such as reconfirming a price before agreeing to purchase an item or service, can help avoid misunderstandings or mysterious new fees.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Indochina Experience IExplore
- Intriguing Indochina (18-Day) IExplore
- Vietnam Experience — $2,489 IExplore
- Intriguing Indochina (22-Day) — $10,250 IExplore
- Intriguing Indochina (18-Day) — $7,995 IExplore