- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Danang was an important port city late in the 19th century, when silting in the Thu Bon River eliminated neighboring Hoi An's access to the sea. The ancient Kingdom of Champa existed in the region from the 2nd to the 17th centuries, but Cham domination was significantly weakened by the Viet and Khmer in the 15th century; the last Cham king fled to Cambodia in 1820, and the French gained control in 1888. Although it lacks the metropolitan vibe of Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh, Danang is one of the country's fastest growing cities, with cranes filling the skyline. It lures travelers with its historic sites, rich landscape, and local markets.
Danang at a Glance
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's