Foreign travelers are required to book a tour when securing a Tibet Travel Bureau permit. Agents should advise you on the latest changes to travel restrictions and permit requirements. Typically, the cost of an organized tour for a week runs $1,000 to $2,000 per person. When booking a tour, be sure to get confirmation in writing, with details about your hotel and meal arrangements.
Popular tours include the two-day trip to Nam Tso Lake (Y1,000–Y1,500), the two-day trip to Samye Monastery (Y800–Y2,500), and the 12-day trip to sacred Mount Kailash (Y7,000–Y14,000).
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's