- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Since 2006 it's been possible to travel on the world's highest railway, complete with oxygen tanks, and arrive in Tibet by train—provided you have your TTB permit. This means that you will need to book a tour that includes your train trip. Now there are direct air-conditioned trains from Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, and Xian to Lhasa several times a week. Everyone has to sign a health waiver saying they're fit to travel. The rail link is not without its controversies—some argue that the train encourages Han migration, and that its construction has had a tremendous environmental impact.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This Jun! Book 3 Nts in Lhasa Fr $358+/Nt Expedia
- Lhasa Savings! Book at Four Points by Sheraton Lhasa Fr $372+/Nt Expedia