There are buses in Tibet, of the rickety, bone-shaking sort, but they tend to cater to locals only. Drivers are often very reluctant to pick up foreign travelers. In Lhasa it's easier, but you will be expected to have your tour guide with you. Most visitors hire a land cruiser to get around once outside of Lhasa.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe