Pelkor Chode Monastery (Bái Jū Sí)
Pelkor Chode Monastery (Bái Jū Sí) Review
One of the few multidenominational monastic complexes in Tibet—housing Gelugpa, Sakyapa, and Bupa monks—Pelkor Chode is home to the Gyantse Kumbum. Built in 1427, this building with its glittering golden dome and four sets of spellbinding eyes rising over uniquely tiered circular architecture is one of the most beautiful in Tibet. Inside there are six floors, each a labyrinth of small chapels adorned with Nepalese-influenced murals and statues. A steep ladder at the rear of the fifth floor provides access to the roof. Impressive in itself, you'll appreciate this complex even more after you've seen it from the heights of Gyantse Dzong.
- Address: Northwest end of Pelkor Lu, Gyantse, 857500
- Phone: 0892/817–2680
- Cost: Y60
- Hours: Daily 9–7
- Location: Gyantse
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My husband and I spent 9 days in Myanmar this past December. Read more
Now that the flurry of November trip reports has come and gone (they were great!), I figure it’s time for one more, before the reports from spring cherry blossom-viewing visits start to come in. This Read more
Phew..Visa arrived. We did use a company in Houston to obtain visa and they arrived a week before we needed them.
Here is our itinerary:
We are staying i Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more