Travel by car is the only permitted transportation throughout Tibet for foreigners. When you book a tour, as part of the package you'll get a driver and all the necessary permits. If you're headed to Nepal, make sure you arrange a visa in Lhasa before your departure.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe