Safety and Precautions
Don't talk politics with Tibetans. If they speak out against the government they may be charged with treason and receive a 20-year jail term. Public Security Bureau personnel are everywhere, sometimes in uniform, sometimes in civilian clothes or even in monks' robes. Beware of the charming Tibetan who may be a secret policeman trying to entrap you into giving him a photograph of the Dalai Lama. You could be detained or even deported. PSB offices are in all towns and many of the smaller townships.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's