Thailand is generally safe for travelers, but it still pays to take sensible precautions. The political situation has grown unstable in recent years, erupting in violence across Bangkok and Chiang Mai, so be aware of current events. Be careful about accepting food or drinks from strangers, and don't flash money around. Though women generally travel without hassle, it's advisable to avoid walking alone in secluded areas after dark. Pickpockets and con men (and women) patrol some touristy areas. The Royal Thai Police contact number is 191, but better communication will be had with the Tourist Police on their 1155 hotline.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's