Knowing that the island's residents lived longer here than anywhere else in Thailand, King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) built Chudhadhuj Palace, named after Prince Chudhadhuj, who was born on the island on July 5, 1893. The palace was abandoned in 1894 when France blockaded the Gulf of Thailand during a political crisis. Few buildings remain today, but the palace gardens are a great place for a stroll. Vimanmek Mansion was originally started here before being moved to Bangkok
in 1901, and its beachside foundation remains. Nearby, an old wooden pier has been restored to its former glory.
2 km (1 mile) south of town, Koh Si Chang, 20120, Thailand