- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Just a few decades ago, the tiny island of Koh Tao could have been compared to the one inhabited by Robinson Crusoe: no electricity, no running water, no modern amenities of any kind. Today there are tattoo parlors, discos, and a few 7-Elevens. Dozens of small lodgings offer everything from basic bungalows to luxurious lodgings.
The peace and quiet has disappeared from the main beaches, but the primary reason to come here is still the underwater world. Koh Tao is an excellent place to get your scuba certification. Many operators don't have pools, so the initial dives must be done in the shallow, crystal-clear ocean water. Advanced divers will appreciate the great visibility, decent amount of coral, and exotic and plentiful marine life.
Koh Tao at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Gulf Coast Beaches
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's