- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Safety and Precautions
Koh Phangan has become famous for its full-moon parties and for numerous other parties associated with the moon's waxing and waning. These events attract as many as 10,000 revelers, and the criminal element knows this. Break-ins have become problematic. Thieves assume that you're probably out partying, so don't leave valuables in your room.
The biggest problem is drugs, which are treated very seriously by Thai authorities. There are all-too-frequent stories of travelers who have arrested, either for purchasing or consuming, so expect harsh treatment if you're caught.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe