- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Hiking and Trekking
Hiking trips, particularly to some of the island's waterfalls, are popular. It's a good idea to hire a guide if you plan to venture farther than one of the well-traveled routes, as good maps of the mostly jungle terrain are unheard-of.
Ban Kwan Chang. On the northern end of the island, Ban Kwan Chang offers a trekking program supported by the Asian Elephant Foundation, so you can trust that the elephants are treated humanely. Half-day tours (8:30–noon; B900 per person) include a bathing and feeding session and a 90-minute trek into the jungle, as well as transportation from your hotel. There are shorter treks as well. Most hotels can arrange trips for you. Koh Chang. 08/92473161.
Jungle Way. Both full day and half day are available at Jungle Way. Run by the entertaining and stoic Lek from his guest house of the same name, the tours offer insights into the local environment and way of life. Jungle Way is based in the northern village of Klongson. Klongsan, Koh Chang. 09/223–4795.
More Sports and Outdoors
- Hiking and Trekking
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe