- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Kopitiam by Wilai
Kopitiam by Wilai Review
The walls of this unique restaurant-café in the heart of the architecturally quaint Sino-Portuguese district are lined with vintage black-and-white images of Phuket, which pretty much reflect the kind of food served up here—old school Thai/Chinese fare. Signiture dishes are inspired by secret recipes of owner Wiwan's mother (who owns the also popular Wilai restaurant nearby) and grandmother, and often include Chinese medicinal ingredients from her uncle's herbal shop next door. Try bak kut teh, a pungent shiitake mushroom and pork soup, and mee sua pad, noodles with seafood and spices, as well as the crispy noodle and egg salad. Ice teas like Butterfly Pea Flower and lime are especially good for cooling your insides on a hot day, while a variety of smoothies and good coffee made in a cloth bag are also worth a try. For a delicious snack, buy some of the creamy homemade pepper cookies or crunchy caramel peanuts to take with you.
- Address: 18 Thalang Rd., Phuket Town, 83000
- Phone: 083/6069776
- Hours: 11 am–10 pm
- Location: Phuket Town
- Closed Sun.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Preparation and planning:
We had a wonderful 3-week trip to Southeast Asia, going to Bangkok/northern Thailand; Luang Prabang; and Siem Reap and taking the 2-day slow boat down the Mekong to Luang Prabang. Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more