- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Mae Hong Son Loop
Remote Mae Hong Son is reached along a mountainous stretch of road known to travelers as "the Loop." The route runs from Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son via Pai if you take the northern route, and via Mae Sariang if you take the southern one. Which route offers the best views is the subject of much heated debate. The entire Loop is about 600 km (360 miles) long. Allow at least four days to cover it—longer if you want to leave the road occasionally and visit the hot springs, waterfalls, and grottos found along the way.
The Mae Hong Son Loop at a Glance
Elsewhere in Northern Thailand
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's