- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Safety and Precautions
The mountainous border between Thailand and Laos is just an hour's drive from Nan, and until recently was a haven for smugglers, keeping local police busy. Foreign visitors rarely encounter reminders of this picaresque past, and street crime is very rare. But elementary precautions are advised—such as leaving valuables in the hotel safe or with the hotel management.
Nan is worth visiting for the Wat Pumin frescoes alone, but otherwise has very little to keep a visitor for more than a day or two. The surrounding countryside and the nearby mountains have a wild beauty and a day tour is recommended.
Trips range from city tours of Nan and short cycling tours of the region to jungle trekking, elephant riding, and white-water rafting.
Fhu Travel (453/4 Sumondhevaraj Rd., Nan, 55000. 054/710636. www.fhutravel.com.)
River Raft (50/6 Norkam Rd., Nan, 55000. 054/710940. www.nanriverraft.com.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Southeast Asia Experience IExplore
- Intriguing Indochina (22-Day) IExplore
- ThaiCamLao Discovery — $4,295 IExplore
- Southeast Asia Experience — $6,750 IExplore
- Indochina Experience — $4,199 IExplore