Northern Thailand Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Northern Thailand
Natural Wonders: Northern Thailand means mountains. Beyond Chiang Mai, they rise to the borders of Myanmar and Laos, crisscrossed by deep valleys and fast-flowing rivers. National parks welcome hikers and campers to wild areas of outstanding natural beauty and hill tribe villages lost in time. At the southern edge of the region lie the ruins of Sukhothai, a cradle of Siamese civilization.
Shopping: The region is world famous for its silks, and the night markets of Mae Hong Son and Chiang Rai have an astonishing range of handicrafts, many of them from hill tribe villages.
Eating: The region's cuisine is said to be the country's tastiest. Chiang Rai and Pai have excellent restaurants, but even the simplest food stall can dish up delicious surprises.
Temples: The golden spires of thousands of temples dot the region. Each can tell you volumes about Buddhist faith and culture—particularly the haunted ruins of Sukhothai.Updated: 08-2013
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's