Northern Thailand Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Northern Thailand
Natural Wonders: You don't have to venture far from Chiang Mai to see the region's natural beauty. You can hike to spectacular waterfalls and be back in the city in time for dinner.
Shopping: The region is world famous for its silks, and the night markets of Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai have an astonishing range of handicrafts, many of them from hill tribe villages.
Eating: The region's cuisine is said to be the country's tastiest. Chiang Mai has excellent restaurants, but even the simplest food stall can dish up delicious surprises.
Temples: The golden spires of thousands of temples dot the region. Each can tell you volumes about Buddhist faith and culture.
Sports: The country's most beautiful golf courses are here, and nongolfers have an almost unlimited variety of sports to choose from—rock climbing, white-water rafting, and paragliding are just a few.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This Jun! Book 3 Nts in Chiang Mai Fr $142+/Nt Save with Expedia, $52/night less
- 4-Star Ban Sabai Spa Village Fr $46+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $12/night less
- Book 3 Nts in Chiang Mai this Jun Fr $92+/Nt — $92 Expedia
- 3.5-Star Raming Lodge & Spa Fr $44+/Nt — $44 Save with Hotels.com, $9/night less
- Book Dusit D2 Chiang Mai in Jun: Save 40% on this stay! — $92 Save with Expedia, $52/night less