- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
North of Chiang Dao lies the pretty resort town of Tha Ton, which sits on the River Kok right across the border from Myanmar. The local temple, Wat Tha Ton, is built on a cliff overlooking the town. From the bridge below boats set off for trips on the River Kok, some of them headed for Chiang Rai, 130 km (81 miles) away.
Tha Ton is a pleasant base for touring this mountainous region. The 1089 and 1130 highways that run north, close to the Myanmarborder, pass through villages that are more Chinese than Thai, inhabited by descendants of Kuomintang nationalist forces who fled here from Mao Tse-tung's army in the civil war that gave birth to the People's Republic of China. The largest community is Mae Salong.
Tha Ton at a Glance
Elsewhere in Chiang Rai and The Golden Triangle
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's