- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park Review
A few hours by bus south of Surat Thani you'll discover a different landscape of tall mountain ranges covered with lush greenery and small streams. Soon you reach Khao Sok National Park, which contains 161,000 acres of the most beautiful forest in Thailand. The park is home to such diverse and rare wildlife as the gaur, banteng, sambar deer, bear, Malayan tapir, macaque, gibbon, serow, mouse deer, and porcupine. It's also one of the few places to see a Raffesia, the world's largest flower, and rare bird species like hornbills. Hiking, boat rides, and night safaris are some of the activities in the park.
Rain is inevitable in Khao Sok, as the weather is influenced by monsoon winds from both the northeast and west—the best and driest time to visit Khao Sok is December to April. Both the national park and some private resorts offer various types of lodging, but don't expect too much. Only very basic accommodation can be found in the park. A privately run, funky shaped tree house accommodation is 1 km (½ mile) before the park's entrance. Visit the local TAT office to stock up on info beforehand.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Thanks all for the travel advice. Read more