- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Safety and Precautions
As in most of Thailand, Samui is a safe place. However, there has been an increasing trend toward property crime on the island. Samui has burgeoning economy, and with it come the trappings of modern society, including a small criminal element. Rarely does this criminal activity affect visitors, but there is the odd report of thefts from hotel rooms and late-night robberies. Take sensible precautions, and the risks are minimal.
The greatest safety issue stems from hazardous roads and motorcyclists. Drivers sometime treat the roads as their personal racetrack, with little law enforcement to hinder their progress. Combine that with visitors with no experience who rent motorcycles and don't bother wearing helmets. The combination of speed, inexperienced motorcyclists, and reckless automobiles combine to leave an appalling death toll each year. Stay away from the motorcycles.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $139 & Up: Cheap Hua Hin Stay Save with Hotels.com, $53/night less
- Hua Hin Savings! Book at Devasom Hua Hin Fr $160+/Nt Save with Expedia, $24/night less
- Save $$ in Hua Hin: Book Fr $456+/Nt — $456 Save with Hotels.com, $59/night less
- Hua Hin Savings! Book 3 Nts in Jun Fr $156+/Nt — $156 Save with Expedia, $49/night less
- Explore Hua Hin For Less! Book Fr $74+/Nt — $74 Save with Hotels.com, $32/night less