- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Bangkok's 25 Best, 5th Edition
Vimanmek Palace Review
The spacious grounds within Dusit Park include 20 buildings you can visit, but the Vimanmek Palace, considered the largest golden teak structure in the world, is truly the highlight. The mansion's original foundation remains on Koh Si Chang two hours south of Bangkok in the Gulf of Thailand, where it was built in 1868. In 1910 King Rama V had the rest of the structure moved to its present location and it served as his residence for five years while the Grand Palace was being fixed up. The building itself is extensive, with more than 80 rooms.
The other 19 buildings include the Royal Family Museum, with portraits of the royal family, and the Royal Carriage Museum, with carriages and other vehicles used by the country's monarchs through the ages. There are several small air-conditioned restaurants offering a limited menu of Thai food. Admission includes everything on the grounds and the classical Thai dancing shows that take place mid-morning and mid-afternoon (usually 10:30 am and 2 pm). English-language tours are available every half hour starting at 9:15. Proper attire is required (no shorts, tank tops, or sandals).
- Address: Ratchawithi Rd., Dusit, Bangkok, 10300
- Phone: 02/628–6300 Ext. 5120
- Cost: B100, free with ticket from the Grand Palace
- Hours: Daily 9:30–4 (last entry at 3:15)
- Metro Skytrain: Victory Monument (take a taxi from the station).
- Location: Dusit
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Thanks all for the travel advice. Read more
· News & Features
Theme restaurants around the world are racing to one-up each other, in hopes of debuting something outlandish ... Read more
See the reclining Buddha, the Royal Palace, and the red light district.... Read more
Bangkok is set to overtake London as the most popular city destination for travelers in 2013.... Read more