Muay Thai in Bangkok
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The national sport of Thailand draws enthusiastic crowds in Bangkok. Unlike some shows you can see in the resort areas down south, which feel touristy, Bangkok has the real thing. Daily matches alternate between the two main stadiums.
Avoid the hawkers outside the stadiums who will try to sell you pricey ringside seats—you'll be able to see all the action very well in the bleachers. The only thing you're getting with the pricier tickets is a little more comfort (a folding chair versus bleacher seating or standing room).
Lumphini Stadium. The Lumphini Stadium has muay thai matches Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday, starting at around 6:30 pm. Tickets range from B1,000 to B2,000. Rama IV Rd., Pathumwan, Bangkok, 10120. 02/251–4303. Subway: Lumphini.
Ratchadamnoen Stadium. The sprawling Ratchadamnoen Stadium has muay thai bouts on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday from 6:30 pm to 10 pm. Tickets may be purchased at the gate. Ratchadamnoen Nok Rd., Banglamphu, Bangkok, 10100. 02/281–4205. Skytrain: Hua Lamphong.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe