- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The charming village of Ampawa is 10 km (7 miles) by songthaew from Samuk Songkram has a floating market similar to (but smaller than) that in Damnoen Saduak on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evening from 5 to 9. The food market in the street adjacent to the canal starts at around 1 pm. Featured in a Thai movie, popular fireflies tours allow you to enjoy both the market and the beautifully insect-lighted trees. The bugs are best seen from May to October and in the waning moon. The hour-long tours usually run every half hour from 6:30 to 9 pm. You can arrange a tour directly at the pier (B650 for a boat) or through your hotel (around B70 per person). Unless you have private transportation, you'll have to spend the night in Ampawa, as the last bus back to Bangkok is in the early evening.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Preparation and planning:
We had a wonderful 3-week trip to Southeast Asia, going to Bangkok/northern Thailand; Luang Prabang; and Siem Reap and taking the 2-day slow boat down the Mekong to Luang Prabang. Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more