Around Bangkok Feature
Top Reasons to Go Around Bangkok
Heading into the Wild: There's a huge expanse of untouched jungle around Kanchanaburi, which is the kickoff point for trekking, elephant riding, and river-rafting adventures.
Floating Markets: This area has more floating markets than anywhere else in Thailand. The most famous is at Damnoen Saduak—it's the only daily floating market left in the region.
Seeing Old Siam: History awaits outside Bangkok at a Neolithic site, the remains of a Khmer temple (Muang Singh Historical Park in Kanchanaburi), and in Nakhon Pathom, Thailand's oldest seat of Buddhist learning.
Bridge on the River Kwai: For a glimpse of more recent history, visit what remains of the "Death Railway" in Kanchanaburi and walk across the bridge made famous by the movie of the same name.
Converging Cultures: The area around Sangklaburi on the Thai-Myanmar (Burma) border is a mix of Thai, Burmese, and hill tribe communities.
River Views in Ayutthaya: This city, which can be visited as a day trip from Bangkok, combines great river views—most of its hotels offer them—with an island full of fascinating wats.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Enchanted Thailand! Flights to Bangkok From 788 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Explore Bangkok For Less! Book Fr $32+/Nt Hotels.com
- May deal: Golden Pearl Residences Fr $82+/Nt Expedia
- Top: Bangkok Sale! 4 Nts + Air as Low as $1539 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 17 Nt Cruise! Avalon Waterways Fr $4,024 Expedia