Around Bangkok Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Heading into the Wild: There's a huge expanse of untouched jungle around Kanchanaburi, which is the kickoff point for trekking, elephant riding, and river-rafting adventures.
Floating Markets: This area has more floating markets than anywhere else in Thailand. The most famous is at Damnoen Saduak—it's the only daily floating market left in the region.
Seeing Old Siam: History awaits outside Bangkok at a Neolithic site, the remains of a Khmer temple (Muang Singh Historical Park in Kanchanaburi), and in Nakhon Pathom, Thailand's oldest seat of Buddhist learning.
Bridge on the River Kwai: For a glimpse of more recent history, visit what remains of the "Death Railway" in Kanchanaburi and walk across the bridge made famous by the movie.
River Views in Ayutthaya: This city, which can be visited as a day trip from Bangkok, combines great river views with an island full of fascinating wats.Updated: 07-2013
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's