- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The colorful Damnoen Saduak floating market is a true icon of Thai tourism. The image is so evocative that it's become an ad agency favorite. Today the market, which sells mostly produce and other foods, has taken on a bit of the Disneyland effect, as it is often infested with tourists and bears only passing resemblance to the authentic commercial life of this canal-strewn corner of Thailand. On the other hand, even though it feels a bit like a theater production, this is one of the few opportunities to witness a fading Thai tradition. The best way to enjoy the market is to hire a boat; after seeing the market, tour the countryside, take in local temples and gardens, or travel back to Bangkok.
Damnoen Saduak at a Glance
Elsewhere in Around Bangkok
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe