- Heading into the Wild There's a huge expanse of untouched jungle around Kanchanaburi, which is the kickoff point for trekking, elephant riding, and river-rafting adventures.
- Floating Markets This area has more floating markets than anywhere else in Thailand. The most famous is at Damnoen Saduak—it's the only daily floating market left in the region.
- Seeing Old Siam History awaits outside Bangkok at a Neolithic site, the remains of a Khmer temple (Muang Singh Historical Park in Kanchanaburi), and in Nakhon Pathom, Thailand's oldest seat of Buddhist learning.
- Bridge on the River Kwai For a glimpse of more recent history, visit what remains of the "Death Railway" in Kanchanaburi and walk across the bridge made famous by the movie.
- River Views in Ayutthaya This city, which can be visited as a day trip from Bangkok, combines great river views with an island full of fascinating wats.
Need trip ideas? Check out our curated collections of destinations around the globe.More