- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Shilin Night Market
Shilin Night Market Review
Eating out at a night market is a not-to-be-missed treat in many East Asian countries, and the Chinese food in Taipei's market is as good as you'll find anywhere. Shilin is the city's biggest and most popular market—the food court contains more than 500 separate stalls, so bring an appetite. Stalls begin opening at around 4 each afternoon and feed happy diners until midnight. Snacks are very cheap and start from a few cents each; even larger dishes only run to a few dollars. To decide what to eat, wander around and let your eyes and nose make the selection for you. To get here, head for Juiantan metro station on the Red line, then follow the intoxicating smells; it is also visible from the station.
- Address: Shilin District, Taipei,
- Location: Taipei
- No credit cards.
- No lunch.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $105* -- One-Way Domestic Flights Across Japan Featured Destination: Japan
- $96 -- Beijing: 4-Star Hotel Downtown into Summer, 25% Off Mercure Beijing Downtown
- $2299 -- China: 11-Night Vacation w/Air & Tours, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- A World Apart IExplore
- $874* & up -- Flights to Japan on Sale (R/T, w/Tax) — $874 Featured Destination: Japan
Hi All --
Thanks for your Hong Kong advice. Read more
Dunhuang, Xi'An, Chengdu, Jiuzhaigou & Hong Kong
Here is a trip report from our April visit to China. Read more
I'm thinking of travelling to southern India and Sri Lanka in Jan. Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's ... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more