When to Go
When to Go
Peak Season: December to March
Hotels tend to overbook during this period, when European holiday makers pack the beaches. Chinese New Year, which falls between late January and early February, is also an expensive time to travel.
Off Season: May to August
This is monsoon season on the south and west coasts, but the weather in the north and east is lovely and you'll see accommodation prices across the country at their lowest.
Shoulder Season: April; September to November
Weather across the country is at its best in April and September—warm, sunny, and dry. You shouldn't have trouble making reservations during these months except around the Sinhalese New Year, in mid-April, during which hotels and all forms are transport are completely booked up.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe