Singapore may be a tiny island, but it's got one of the most efficient, cost-effective, and reliable public transportation systems in the world. The Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) system covers the main stretches across the island, while buses cover other routes. All stations, carriages, and vehicles are well-maintained, well-lit, and safe. Announcements, route maps, and exit guides are in English and easy to understand. Taxis provide a faster and more comfortable ride, but at a higher price. You can hail one from the street, wait for one at taxi stands, or call one for a pick up. Exploring on foot makes the most sense around the self-contained ethnic areas of Chinatown, Little India, and Kallang as well as along the designated paths along Singapore River and the East Coast Parkway.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe