Everyone leaving Singapore pays a departure tax, known as a Passenger Service Charge, of S$21. If it's not already included with the price of your ticket, it's payable at the airport. To save time and avoid standing in line, buy a tax voucher at your hotel or any airline office. Passengers who are in Singapore for less than 24 hours may leave the airport without paying this tax.
Plus Plus Plus
You'll see "+++," a.k.a. Plus Plus Plus, on most restaurant and bar menus. These are the 10% service charge, the 5% goods and services tax, and the 1% government tax that are automatically added to your bill.
There's a 5% sales tax, called the Goods & Services Tax (GST), the equivalent of Value-Added Tax. You can get the tax refunded at Global Refund Singapore counters in the airport as you leave the country, for purchases of more than S$300 made at a store or retail chain displaying the Tax Free Shopping sticker (you can pool individual receipts for S$100 or more). When making a purchase, ask for a Tax Free Shopping Cheque and find out whether the merchant gives refunds—not all stores do, nor are they required to. Have the form stamped like any customs form by customs officials when you leave Singapore. Be ready to show customs officials what you've bought. If you want to pack your purchases in your check-in luggage, head for the GST Refund Inspection Counter after you're through passport control. You can either take the form to a refund-service counter for an on-the-spot refund, mail it to the address on the form (or the envelope with it) after you arrive home, or ask for a refund to your credit card, though a surcharge may be levied for this option. Visit www.changiairport.com.sg for more information.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- ASAP Tickets Sale! Flights to Singapore From 757 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Small budget: Book Fragrance - Sunflower 3 Nts in May Fr $59+/Nt Expedia
- Book 5-Star Four Seasons Singapore in Singapore Fr $413+/Nt Expedia
- Save at 4-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Singapore Fr $1432 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 21 Nt Cruise! Princess Cruises Fr $2,979 Expedia