To use electric-powered equipment purchased in the U.S. or Canada, bring a converter and adapter. If your appliances are dual-voltage, you'll only need an adapter. Don't use 110-volt outlets marked "for shavers only" for high-wattage appliances such as blow-dryers. Most laptops operate equally well on 110 and 220 volts and so require only an adapter. The electrical current in Singapore is 220–240 volts, 50 cycles alternating current (AC), as in Australia and the U.K. Wall outlets take plugs with three square-tipped prongs. Most hotels lend their guests adapters and converters.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe