- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
More than 14 million people a year pass through the Singapore Cruise Centre's passenger terminals on their way to and from equatorial adventures throughout Asia. Many of the international lines, including Crystal Cruises of Los Angeles, Cunardine of New York, Holland America Line of Seattle, and Seabourn Cruise Line of San Francisco, have a Singapore stopover as part of their multi-week cruise itineraries.
Star Cruises, Singapore's most popular cruise company, covers the immediate region, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, and Vietnam in particular, as well as longer-distance (usually fly-cruise) to Hong Kong, China, and Japan. The larger ships are fully equipped with karaoke, swimming pools, gyms, libraries, cinemas, discos, and restaurants (as well as casino facilities). In the simplest package, the overnight "Cruise to Nowhere," the ship heads into the open sea and starts up its gambling tables and duty-free bars, which close as soon as it reenters Singapore's waters. Depending on how far you go, for how long and in what class, you're looking at costs ranging between S$450 and S$1,400 per person, or even up to S$2,510, but this does include great comfort and an abundance of food. To get the best deal on a cruise, consult a cruise-only travel agency or look for special deals in Straits Times' classified section.
Singapore Cruise Centre. 6321-2803.
Star Cruises. #11-08 Park Mall, 9 Penang Rd., Orchard. 800/327-9020 Ext. 1105 in the U.S.; 6223-0002 in Singapore.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Singapore Savings! Book at Harbour Ville Fr $92+/Nt Save with Expedia, $14/night less
- Visit Singapore for Less: Hotels Fr $122+/Nt Travelocity
- Save at 4.5-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Singapore Fr $1623 Expedia
- Journey on Celebrity Cruises to Singapore: 14 Nts Fr $1,549 Expedia
- Save at 4-Star Re!: $158 & Up in Jun — $158 Expedia