The cheapest way to get to Singapore's nearest Malaysian city, Johor Bahru, is to catch Singapore Bus Service (SBS) bus number 170 to Larkin Ter in JB. It's a two-hour ride that leaves from Queens Street bus station every 9–12 minutes and costs S$1.60 one-way. The bus will drop you at the Singapore checkpoint, but it will not wait, so bring all your belongings through immigration. Keep your bus ticket and hop on the next one that comes along.
Air-conditioned private buses between Singapore and Malaysia are quite comfortable. The Singapore–Johor Bahru Express runs daily every 15 minutes 6:30 am–midnight from the Queens Street bus station; the one-way cost is S$2.40. The Malacca–Singapore Express takes about 4½ hours, costs S$11 one-way, and leaves from the Lavender Street bus station seven times daily. The direct Kuala Lumpur–Singapore Express leaves from the Lavender Street station eight times daily. Several more expensive (S$30–S$47 one-way) and more comfortable express coaches travel between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. Aeroline departs from the Hotel Asia on Scotts Road four times daily, Nice Bus departs from the Copthorne Orchid hotel on Dunearn Road almost hourly, and Gunung Raya leaves from the Golden Mile Complex along Beach Road three times daily. You may need to pay a small fee to book your seat. Book at least a day in advance for coaches to Kuala Lumpur. Most operators only accept cash.
Aeroline Bus. 6341-9338. www.aeroline.com.sg.
Gunung Raya Travel. 6294-7911. www.gunungraya.com.
Kuala Lumpur-Singapore Express. 6292-8254.
Malacca-Singapore Express. 6293-5915.
Nice Bus Services. 6256-5755.
Singapore-Johor Bahru Express. 6292-8149.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe