Singapore Sights

Wak Hai Cheng Bio Temple

  • 30B Phillip St. Map It
  • CBD
  • Religious Building/Site/Shrine

Published 05/04/2017

Fodor's Review

Built in 1826 by Teochew Chinese from Guangdong Province and dedicated to the goddess of the sea, this is one of Singapore's oldest Taoist temples. The temple is also known as Yueng Hai Ching Temple, which means Temple of the Calm Sea. Traders and travelers returning from China visited the temple on disembarking—believe it or not, Philip Street was then very close to the water—to offer their thanks for a safe journey. It has been maintained by the Ngee Ann Clan Association since 1845 and was rebuilt in 1895. Inside, there's an imperial signboard presented by Qing Dynasty Emperor Guang Xu in 1907. Each of the structure's twin wings can be accessed by its own entrance, which have different ornamental features. Besides dragons and pagodas, human figurines and scenes from Chinese operas are depicted on the temple's roof.

Sight Information

Address:

30B Phillip St., Singapore, Central Singapore, 048696, Singapore

Map It

Phone:

/6533–8537

Published 05/04/2017

Advertisement

Book A Trip
  • HOTELS

  • FLIGHTS

  • PACKAGES

  • CARS

Map View

What's Nearby

  • Restaurants
  • Sights
  • Hotels

See all sights in Singapore