Done in a ponderous neoclassical style that includes Corinthian pillars, the Old Supreme Court Building was completed in 1939, the last such building to be built in Singapore. The pedimental sculptures of the Greek temple-style facade, by Italian artist Cavalieri Rudolfo Nolli, portray an allegory of Justice. Inside, there's an echoing hall and a magnificent staircase, and high above, the vast paneled ceiling is an exercise in showmanship. All of this was completed just
in time for the Japanese to use the building as their headquarters. World War II and the Japanese occupation preempted architect Frank Dorrington Ward's plan to demolish most of the historical buildings around the Padang in favor of a modern complex. The National Art Gallery of Singapore is scheduled to open here in 2015.