The oldest building in this walled complex is the Coleman-designed Caldwell House, a private mansion built in 1840. This, together with other buildings, became in 1852 the Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus, where nuns housed and schooled abandoned children. A church was added between 1901 and 1903. After World War II both the convent and the church fell into disrepair. The buildings received a S$100 million renovation in 1996 and were reopened as a shopping and entertainment
complex; it's now a good spot to catch live sport screenings. Today the lovingly restored church is rented out for private functions, and the grounds are used for free concerts and jazz festivals. The name Chijmes (pronounced "chimes") is an acronym of the convent's name.