Armenian Church Review
Also known as the Church of St. Gregory the Illuminator, this is one of Singapore's most elegant buildings. Built in 1835, this is the republic's oldest surviving church. The Armenians were but one of many minority groups that came to Singapore in search of better lives. A dozen wealthy Armenian families (and several non-Christian merchants) donated the funds for renowned colonial architect George Coleman to design this church. The main internal circular structure is imposed on a square plan with four projecting porticoes. In the churchyard is the weathered tombstone of Agnes Joaquim, who bred the orchid hybrid that has become Singapore's national flower. The pink-and-white orchid, with a deeper purplish pink center, was discovered in her garden in 1893 and still carries her name: Vanda Miss Joaquim.
View deals in Singapore for vacation packages, hotels, airfare, and more from our partners!More