Corregidor Island Review
One look at a map will convince you of Corregidor's strategic importance. Some 48 km (30 miles) southwest of the city, it stands guard over the entrance to Manila Bay, and any marauding invader wishing to take the city by sea must first pass by here. Under Spanish rule it was both a defensive fortress and a penal colony. During the American colonial period it was the site of Fort Mills and also Malinta Tunnel, the latter both a defensive bunker and a 1,000-bed military hospital. The tunnel was also the last stronghold of the American forces under General Douglas MacArthur in 1942, before they were forced to withdraw following the Japanese invasion of the Philippines. Today you can view an audiovisual presentation about the building's history inside of the tunnel. Most other war-damaged buildings have been left as they were, as a memorial to the many Filipino and American soldiers who died here. The highest section of Corregidor is also the location for the Pacific War Memorial, completed in 1968 by the U.S. Government to honor the soldiers who took part in World War II. Also on the island, a Japanese Garden of Peace serves as a reminder that it wasn't only allied soldiers who gave up their lives. Elsewhere, Corregidor Lighthouse, first built in 1853, reminds us that the island also has a navigational as well as strategic role. The best way to visit Corregidor is to book a day tour through one of Manila's many travel agents.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $235 & up -- Japan: Luxury Hotels, Save 50% Featured Destination: Japan
- $96 & up -- India: 5-Star Hotel near New Delhi w/Breakfast Accor Hotels
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan
- A World Apart IExplore
- $1599 & up -- Japan Vacations incl. Air, Save up to $550 — $1,599 Featured Destination: Japan
To travel to El Nido, one has to fly to the capital of Palawan, Puerto Princesa. Read more
Just to share my pseudo-trip report on a short trip to Boracay Island, Philippines, which was named #1 Best Overall in Asia in Travel+ Leaisure’s World’s Best Awards 2012.
I say pseudo Read more
I'm arriving in Manila for a short stay and I've been hearing many horror stories about how taxi guys rip you off or take you off the beaten path and then rob you...how likely is that if I take the taxi Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more