Nepal is a Hindu nation with a significant Buddhist minority. Men and women should dress conservatively. Women should always wear a long skirt that covers the legs and men should always wear a shirt; a man walking around topless is considered extremely rude and disrespectful. Religious etiquette requires you to pass prayer walls on your right—watch what others do. You should also make a donation if visiting a monastery or temple. Do not point the soles of your feet at anyone as this will cause offence. When eating, do not handle anybody else's food, and only pass food containers etc. with your right hand. Never touch the head of a Nepalese person.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's