- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Bogyoke Market Review
This market, which opened in 1926, is enormous but clean, well-organized, and—despite sweltering temperatures outside—not an oven. Come here on your first day in Yangon to peruse the offerings, pick up a longyi (sarong) for temple visits, and exchange money. You'll get the best rate here, and it's not so much dedicated exchange counters that you'll find but vendors with bags of cash. Shops here sell stone and wood carvings; jade, silver, and gold jewelry; lacquerware; paintings by local artists; and a smattering of cosmetics and toiletries. If you're buying jewelry, do your research beforehand. On the whole, sellers here are not pushy, but no matter what you purchase, be sure to haggle.
- Address: 27th St. and Bogyoke Aung San Rd., Yangon (Rangoon)
- Location: Yangon (Rangoon)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Last Fall I read a notice that said that Emirates Airways was adding several new cities to it’s American service, among them Boston. Read more
Gottravel and I spent 18 days of our 6 week SEASia trip in Myanmar. Read more
I'm starting to plan a trip to Japan, and have questions about which international airport(s) to fly in and out of and how to get to various places we have in mind to sightsee.
I have a conference Read more
· News & Features
For ample beach time, minus the party scene, Cabo San Lucas is a bustling enclave with a marina, lots... Read more
Author, conservationist, and TED Talk speaker Boyd Varty shares eight top places to visit in his native... Read more
This unattributed travel quote tells us why splurging on a trip is totally worth it.... Read more