- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mount Popa Review
If you've got an extra day in Bagan and have tired of the temples, this is an easy half-day trip. Fifty miles southeast of Bagan, Mount Popa stands nearly 5,000 feet above sea level. It's a 777-step-barefoot-climb all the way to the top; along the stairwell are souvenir sellers and, at the top, a gilded pagoda. Beware of monkeys who can turn nasty if they sense you've got treats and whose droppings are everywhere; wet wipes are a must. A taxi (four passengers) from Bagan will run you around 37,000 kyat, and you can stop on your way at a palm sugar plantation and distillery. Nearby Mt. Popa resort is lovely and offers great views, but is owned by government cronie Tay Za.
- Address: Off Byat Ta Pan Sat Rd., Kyauk Paduang Township, Bagan
- Location: Bagan
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Gottravel and I spent 18 days of our 6 week SEASia trip in Myanmar. Read more
Just finished my travelogue on my December trip to Myanmar. Read more
Hi, I'm totally new to Fodor, so please be kind!
I've just booked flights to Japan and am trying to get my head round coming up with an itinery, which is proving harder than with any other trips I've done Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more