- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mandalay Restaurant Review
The Governor's Residence is idyllic, but if you're staying there and enjoying the included breakfast buffet, it's well worth exploring what else Yangon has to offer for lunch and dinner. If you're not staying here, however, pack a swimsuit and head over. Come for lunch and enjoy an afternoon swim, or take a dip and then stay for dinner. Eschew Mandalay's tempting Continental options and instead try an upscale take on traditional Burmese food, accompanied by locally produced wine. Try the tongue-twisting ah-mel thar pha yone thee—beef and pumpkin curry with sesame cabbage and rice—and the spicy lephet thoke, a salad of pickled green tea leaves, butterbeans, peanuts, dry shrimp, and chili.
- Address: The Governor's Residence, 35 Taw Win Rd., Yangon (Rangoon)
- Phone: 95-1/229860
- Hours: Noon–2:30, 7–10:30
- Website: www.governorsresidence.com/web/pyan/mandalay_restaurant.jsp
- Location: Yangon (Rangoon)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I visited Myanmar in Jan 2014. Read more
My husband and I spent 9 days in Myanmar this past December. Read more
We are applying for Indian visas and our tour company recommended a firm charging $183 per person.
The Embassy of India has outsourced visa applications to BLS International and they charge $68 per person. Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more