Crime is extremely rare in the tourist resorts, and most Maldivians are honest and welcoming. You will feel safe here at all times. Take the usual common-sense precautions however, such as not leaving valuables lying around as opportunistic theft from rooms is not completely unknown. In Malé, there have been occasional outbreaks of rioting, usually following elections. The last such incidents occurred in early 2012.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe