Almost everything besides fish is imported in the Maldives, and as a result this is an expensive country. There is little cheap accommodation or transport. If staying on a resort island, budget as much as you can for meals, drinks, tips, and trips—at least $100 per person per day if possible. You can minimize the shock in many resorts by choosing an all-inclusive package, in which almost everything (except perhaps cocktails) is pre-paid. Credit cards are accepted on all the resort islands, and to a lesser extent in Malé.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe