Almost everything besides fish is imported in the Maldives, and as a result this is an expensive country. There is little cheap accommodation or transport. If staying on a resort island, budget as much as you can for meals, drinks, tips, and trips—at least $100 per person per day if possible. You can minimize the shock in many resorts by choosing an all-inclusive package, in which almost everything (except perhaps cocktails) is pre-paid. Credit cards are accepted on all the resort islands, and to a lesser extent in Malé.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $96 & up -- India: 5-Star Hotel near New Delhi w/Breakfast Accor Hotels
- $3599 -- Japan: 8-Night, 3-City Tour w/Air, Save $400 Friendly Planet Travel
- Undiscovered South Korea Independent Journey IExplore
- $1499 & up -- Hong Kong & Shanghai 6-Night Trip w/Air — $1,499 go-today
- Southeast Asia Experience — $6,750 IExplore