The island resorts are very relaxed and normal beach rules apply. Swimwear is fine for the beach and for swimming (topless bathing is illegal) but a little more modest casual dress is required for dining. Guests trying to enter a restaurant in beach gear will be politely asked to cover up. If you visit the capital Malé or other islands where normal Maldivians live, do remember the Maldives is a devoutly Muslim nation. Respect local customs and dress conservatively, especially when visiting a mosque. Alcoholic drinks are available on the resort islands, but not elsewhere.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $96 & up -- India: 5-Star Hotel near New Delhi w/Breakfast Accor Hotels
- $3599 -- Japan: 8-Night, 3-City Tour w/Air, Save $400 Friendly Planet Travel
- A World Apart IExplore
- $1499 & up -- Hong Kong & Shanghai 6-Night Trip w/Air — $1,499 go-today
- Ageless China — $3,525 IExplore