The island resorts are very relaxed and normal beach rules apply. Swimwear is fine for the beach and for swimming (topless bathing is illegal) but a little more modest casual dress is required for dining. Guests trying to enter a restaurant in beach gear will be politely asked to cover up. If you visit the capital Malé or other islands where normal Maldivians live, do remember the Maldives is a devoutly Muslim nation. Respect local customs and dress conservatively, especially when visiting a mosque. Alcoholic drinks are available on the resort islands, but not elsewhere.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe