Mt. Kinabalu Review
The biggest tourist attraction in Sabah is less than a two-hour drive from KK. Mt. Kinabalu is Malaysia's first World Heritage site and—at 4,095 meters (13,435 feet)—it's the highest peak in Southeast Asia. It's a must-visit for botanists, bird-watchers, and nature lovers. While all climbers need to be in tip-top shape before undergoing the challenge, it is regarded as one of the easier mountains of its height in the world to conquer. Keep an eye out for 800 species of orchids and 600 species of ferns, as well as a glimpse of Rafflesia, the largest flower in the world. Those not feeling up for the climb can scour around Kinabalu National Park. While the wildlife is not quite as varied as what you will find at the top, there are still more than 4,000 species of flora and fauna to explore. Surrounding hot springs and treetop walks are also worth experiencing.
- Address: Mount Kinabalu National Park, Ranau, Sabah 88100
- Phone: 60/88889098
- Location: Kota Kinabalu
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I went with a group of colleagues to climb Mt Kinabalu last year. Read more
Here are travelogues of our trip to Malaysia and Thailand this summer:
As usual long and very detailed. The Read more
My friend and I are planning a trip to SEA, we have 24 days of trip, we are flying to KL in mid May.
Our plan is to visit Cambodia and East Malaysia, and on the last 10 days we will be Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more