Fort Cornwallis Review
Of the many historic landmarks left behind after British settlement, Fort Cornwallis is one of the most prominent—it's the largest fort still standing in Malaysia. This is where Captain Francis Light, the founder of Penang, first set foot on the island in 1786. After claiming the land for the British East India Company, Light went on to build the fort as defense against neighboring Kedah. A bronze statue of the captain stands at the front, and inside the outer walls the compound has been transformed into a park. Today the landmark serves as a good starting ground for a tour of the Colonial District. Wander past the Victoria Memorial Clock Tower, Town Hall, and Supreme Court to gain a sense of the island's past.
- Address: Jalan Tun Syed Sheh Barakbah, Georgetown, Penang 10200
- Location: Penang
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I went with a group of colleagues to climb Mt Kinabalu last year. Read more
Here are travelogues of our trip to Malaysia and Thailand this summer:
As usual long and very detailed. The Read more
My friend and I are planning a trip to SEA, we have 24 days of trip, we are flying to KL in mid May.
Our plan is to visit Cambodia and East Malaysia, and on the last 10 days we will be Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more