Of the many historic landmarks left behind after British settlement, Fort Cornwallis is one of the most prominent—it's the largest fort still standing in Malaysia. This is where Captain Francis Light, the founder of Penang, first set foot on the island in 1786. After claiming the land for the British East India Company, Light went on to build the fort as defense against neighboring Kedah. A bronze statue of the captain stands at the front, and inside the outer walls
the compound has been transformed into a park. Today the landmark serves as a good starting ground for a tour of the Colonial District. Wander past the Victoria Memorial Clock Tower, Town Hall, and Supreme Court to gain a sense of the island's past.
Jalan Tun Syed Sheh Barakbah, Georgetown, Penang, 10200, Malaysia