- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Penang tends to be relatively safe. As in most cities, it's a good idea to avoid wandering the back alleys of Georgetown at night, as tourist muggings have occurred. With so many motorbikes zipping between traffic, it's also a good idea to keep an eye out as you wander down the bigger streets. Negotiating taxi and rickshaw ride fares before the ride is a good way to avoid any arguments.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe