The healthcare system in Penang is well regarded, and in recent years hospitals have been promoting medical tourism, offering cosmetic and elective surgery at much lower costs than in Europe and North America. Language tends not to be an issue, as most hospital staff speak English. Many kinds of sunscreen are available, but the better-known brands typically cost more. Traveler's diarrhea is the most common ailment; you can help prevent it by avoiding tap water.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe